Zvonimir likes chocolate fruit cakes, so for his birthday I try to combine his love for chocolate with different fruit each year. We already tried orange, strawberries and dried fruit. This year raspberries were amazing and full of flavor, which made my choice pretty easy.
This gluten free, easy to make cake is a great choice for any occasion and you can try it out with different fruit!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Double boiler for melting chocolate. It makes all the difference between melted and burned.
- Round baking pan. Perfect shape for your cake in the making.
- Liquid measure cup, useful tool for liquid ingredients, like water and oil 😉
- Saucepan comes very handy when preparing raspberry sauce.a
- Before you can put the ingredients into the pan, you need to mix them somewhere, mixing bowls to the rescue! Make sure bowls you use are adequately sized. There are few things worse than overflowing bowls.
- Measuring spoons to, you know, measure things with them.
- Measuring cups to measure larger quantities of things than with measuring spoons. (Who comes up with these descriptions?)
- Kitchen scale because baking is a fine art and perfection is a little bit more reachable when you quantify things.
- Spatula to mix ingredients softly with your hand 😀
- Electric mixer. Mixing is great and all, but doing it by hand can get exhausting. Sometimes you can outsource that work to a family member. Other times you need a bit more power.
- Kitchen mittens. Things get hot in the oven. ‘Nuff said.
- 125 g (2/3 cup) semi sweet chocolate ( I do not recommend dark chocolate, it will give you a bitter taste)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) oil
- 4 eggs divided
- 50 g (4 tbsp) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Raspberry sauce ingredients
- 300 g fresh raspberries
- 10 tbsp (120 g) sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
Melt chocolate with oil in double boiler until chocolate melts. Cool aside. Divide the eggs. Mix the egg yolks with sugar and vanilla extract until foamy. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
Add melted chocolate to egg yolks mixture and stir with spatula.
Again, using spatula, mix in the egg white mixture gradually into the chocolate egg yolk mixture until combined.
Pour the batter into previously greased 8×2 inch round cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes on 180 °C (355 °F).
Cool the cake on the rack.
Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a small sauce pan (leave few raspberries for decoration) and cook on low heat until raspberries dissolve and the sauce becomes thick. Cool it off.
For serving, pour some sauce over the cake slice. Decorate with fresh raspberries and, if you like, put some vanilla ice cream on the side.
Which fruit would you like to try with this cake?