Octopus salad is one of the most delicious representatives of Croatian cuisine. Seasoned with homemade olive oil and red wine vinegar with a dash of salt and fresh grated black pepper, makes this salad vibrant and refreshing.
As for many dishes, this one also has many combinations. I make mine simple to indulge the octopus flavor to the fullest. Other variants have additions of boiled potatoes or tomatoes. When you visit Croatia, don’t forget to try in many restaurants on Dalmatian coast. In the meanwhile, prepare it yourself! The taste will transfer you to a terrace somewhere on the Adriatic, watching the sunset and enjoying a glass of white wine 😉
- 1 previously frozen octopus
- 1/2 red onion, cut in small cubes
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- handful green/black olives
- salt and black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- red wine vinegar to taste
- 2-3 bay leaves
- wine cork
- Put the octopus into a large pot of water along with bay leaves and wine cork and bring to a boil. The wine cork will ensure tenderness of the octopus.
- Once it boils, lower the temperature to medium-low and cover the pot. Cook the octopus until tender, depending on its size.
- Cooked and cooled octopus chop in small bite size pieces.
- Place the octopus on a serving plate and add capers, olives, onion and garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper, olive oil and red wine vinegar. Mix well. I like plenty of olive oil for dunking the bread 😃
Serve with lemon wedges and your favorite bread. This salad goes perfectly with bruschetta, garlic bread or focaccia! If you like, garnish with finely chopped parsley.
What is your favorite seafood salad?
4 thoughts on “Croatian Octopus Salad”
This looks absolutely wonderful, been wanting to do something easy with octopus in ages. Thanks for the recipe, have just ordered the octopus for next week!
I hope you will enjoy it! Glad you like it 🙂
Thank you for the recipe, I will try it