August screams blackberries! This summer fruit, full of dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K makes it a great choice for making desserts, jams and other sweet goodies.
These easy to make squares can make a quick, healthy, snack for any occasion. You can substitute regular flour and oats with gluten free options according to your preference. For the crunch feeling you may substitute ground walnuts with chopped ones. For that matter, use a nut of your liking. Walnuts are my favorite 🙂
- 200 g (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 120 g (1 1/2 cup) oats + handful for sprinkling
- 220 g (1 cup) firmly packed brown sugar + 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 30 g (1/3 cup) ground walnuts
- 230 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 300 g (2 cup) fresh blackberries
- 1 tbsp brown sugar for tossing the blackberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Cover the baking pan with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or brush with oil.
- In a small bowl, toss blackberries with sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In the standing mixer bowl combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and walnuts. Mix until fully combined. You can use a hand electrical mixer we well.
- Add the softened butter and beat on low speed, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spoon half of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared pan. Gently press mixture into bottom of the pan.
- Top with the coated blackberries.
- Sprinkle with remaining oatmeal mixture. NOTE: do not press down on the mixture.
- Sprinkle with some oats and sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing.
What else would you use blackberries for?