This cake… could not be simpler 🙂 I usually make it when I make Croatian jam cookies as I have leftover egg whites.
You can use many ingredients to elevate this simple cake. Chopped hazelnuts, almonds or peanuts, dried figs, apricots or dates all go great with this dough. You can combine whatever you like, even fresh fruit can be great.
- 6 egg whites
- 200 g (1 1/2 cup) icing sugar
- 120 g (1 1/4 cup) all purpose flour
- 50 g (1/2 cup) chopped walnuts
- 50 g (1/2 cup) chopped almonds
- handful of raisins
- handful of dried cranberries
- lemon zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 170 °C (340 °F).
- Grease and flour baking pan of your choice.
- In a stand up mixer beat egg whites with sugar until stiff.
- Add flour, lemon zest, nuts and dried fruits. Gently fold in with spatula until combined.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving (optional).
One combination I tested had dried cranberries, raisins, chopped almonds and chopped walnuts and the other one dried figs, dates, raisins, chopped walnuts and chopped pecans.
What would be your favorite combination for this cake?