Every kid enjoys their birthday party and having a great birthday cake. In addition to a big birthday cake, birthday cupcakes are mandatory to make that party fun. These chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream are so moist and creamy that one or two won’t be enough 😉
That’s why this recipe makes 24 of them 😋
If you want to make only dozen, just half the recipe for the cupcakes and for the buttercream.
I made these for my nephews birthday when we were back in Croatia and he and his friends loved them so much. Colorful pearls or sprinkles makes them even more appealing. 😉
For the cupcakes
- 430 g (2 1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 220 g (1 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 70 g (5/8 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 235 ml (1 cup) milk
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable or similar oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 235 ml (1 cup) boiling water
For the vanilla buttercream
- 450 g (2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 650 g (5 cups) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 10 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 175 °C (350 °F).
- Prepare 24 muffin tins – grease and flour them or use paper/silicon molds.
- In the large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients – sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking power and salt.
- In a separate bowl or in a stand alone mixer mix together the moist ingredients – eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients in the moist ingredients, and mix for three minutes on medium speed.
- At the end stir in the boiling water.
- Fill each tin about about 2/3 full because they will rise while baking.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Note: This batter is very, very thin. Don’t worry, the cupcakes will still turn out amazing!
What is your favorite cupcake?