Tasty cocoa cookies dipped into chocolate and filled with delicious cream that resembles the cream used for cream puffs. This type of cookie is typical for northern and eastern Croatia. These are traditional cookies prepared for many occasions, especially Christmas and weddings. They can also be yellow with cocoa cream.
makes 20 combined cookies
- 200 g (1 1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 140 g (1/2 cup) butter
- 70 g (6 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 100 g (1/3 cup) butter
- 10 g (1 tbsp) vanilla sugar
- 60 g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Of the ingredients knead the dough, roll out thinly between two sheets of parchment paper and cut into circles. I used shot glass 😀
- Bake them between 5-10 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 °C (355 °F). They just need to get a little color. You need to take them out even if they are a bit soft, leave them on the cooling rack, they will later harden. Let them cool completely.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Melt the chocolate with oil and dip half of the cookies. Let them cool on the rack before connecting them with cream.
- For the cream, mix eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar until combined.
- Cook the cream in double boiler or on low heat. Steer with spatula. That way the cream doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook the cream until it’s thick. Let it cool off completely. In the cooled cream mix in well-made butter.
- Combine chocolate covered cookie with the uncovered one with cream.
Decorate as you like 🙂
What is your favorite Christmas cookie?