This is one of those recipes I got from a friend’s grandmother written in an old notebook. It didn’t even have baking temperature nor time written! Well, in the old days they had wooden stoves and weren’t able to regulate it anyway, so this does make sense 🙂
Combination of chocolate and walnuts with a zesty jam will win you over forever 😀
For the dough
- 100 g (7 tbsp) butter
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g (1 cup) pastry flour
- 100 g (1 cup) ground walnuts
For the cream
- 150 g (10 tbsp) softened butter
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 150 g (10 tbsp) melted dark chocolate
- 5 egg whites
For the chocolate glaze
- 100 g (6 1/2 tbsp) dark chocolate
- 50 g (1/4 cup) butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 beaten egg
- jam of your choice (I used black current jam)
- Knead the dough from all the dough ingredients, wrap in cling wrap and let it rest for half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough and place it in a round 26 cm (10 in) diameter pie pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 170 °C (340 °F) until baked only half way! (10-12 min).
- Meanwhile make the cream. Melt the chocolate either on steam or in the microwave.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until firm peak.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar with egg yolks until foamy, add the butter and the melted chocolate.
- With spatula gently mix in previously firmly beaten egg whites.
- Take the halfway baked cake out of the oven and spread the jam thinly on the dough.
- Pour the cream on the jam. Bake until done, for another 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the cake before you put the glaze on.
- For the glaze melt the chocolate with butter and oil. Remove from heat and add the beaten egg. This is grandma’s secret touch 🙂
Serving: Sprinkle with some finely chopped walnuts for decoration!
We all have some old recipes passed done from generations before. What’s yours?