Ever since the book about a rich man with singular tastes and unconventional desires, we started representing things in the number of shades they take. Usually 50. Some things are worth shading and layering more than others. In 4 layers. Which is another even number.
Like this gorgeous chocolate cake that glorifies chocolate as the queen of all sweets.
I got this recipe from my former colleague’s aunt. She baked fabulous cakes for many traditional Croatian events, such as christenings, weddings, Christmas, Easter, anniversaries and birthdays. I was lucky enough to get some of her recipes to share with you 😀
Which makes you lucky also!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Now that you know what you’re in for, we can get our hands shaded. This recipe comes in two parts, so make sure you read both when getting the ingredients. You wouldn’t want to miss 3 of the 4 shades, would you? 😉
Tools you need
- Double boiler is a perfect tool for melting chocolate without burning it, unless you decide to use…
- Mixing bowls to melt the chocolate in the microwave
- Measuring spoons because it’s baking, and measuring is the name of the game 😉
- Measuring cup. See previous point.
- Kitchen scale because baking is a fine art and perfection is a little bit more reachable when you quantify things
- Kitchen mittens. Things get hot in the oven. Burns hurt and take time to heal. You don’t want to take time off from baking, do you?
- Spatula is a baking essential tool for stirring all kinds of goodies
- Round baking pan because round cake needs round pan 😉
- Electric mixer mixes everything faster and smoother (unless you have some kind of mixing superpower, in which case, ignore this point)
Ingredients (cake, cream is bellow)
- 3 eggs divided
- 150 g (1 cup) chocolate (around 70% cocoa)
- 70 g (5 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
Melt chocolate with butter with a double-boiler on steam.
With electric mixer beat egg whites until stiff.
Beat egg yolks with sugar until foamy, add melted chocolate and mix until combined.
Add flour and stiff egg whites with spatula and mix by hand until combined.
Pour the batter in a round baking pan 26 cm (10 inch) wide.
Bake in a preheated oven on 160 °C (320 °F).
- 500 g (2 cups) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) whipped cream
- 100 g (1/2 cup) white chocolate
- 100 g (1/2 cup) milk chocolate
- 100 g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate (I used 45% cocoa)
Melt each chocolate with a double-boiler on steam or in microwave.
Beat whipped cream with electric mixer until whipped.
Mix mascarpone cheese with sugar and mix in whipped cream.
Divide the mascarpone batter in three equal parts.
In each part mix in different melted chocolate. Mix each batter by hand with spatula until combined.
On a cooled cake first spread dark chocolate cream, then milk chocolate cream and on top, white chocolate cream.
Chill well, preferably over night.
This dessert tastes extra good after beef stew with polenta so consider making that tomorrow while your shades are chilling 😉
Pro tip: don’t make it hungry 😀
2 thoughts on “4 Shades of Chocolate Cake”
Its my first time that im making. . . And thanks for the recipi.. …💖💖💖
Sorry for the late reply, missed your comment. You are very welcome, did you enjoy it? 🙂