Rustic looking honey cookies are one of my favorites. They literally smell like Christmas! Is there anything better? 😄
Perfect with a cup of your favorite tea or coffee, they will make a great addition to every little winter gathering with your friends and family.
- 100 g (¾ cup) sugar
- 150 g (1 cup + 3 tbsp) honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp powdered ginger
- 350 g (2 ¾ cups) all-purpose flour
- for decoration you can use peeled almonds / quarters of walnuts / hazelnuts
- Heat the honey with sugar, stirring constantly, over low heat until the sugar has melted completely. Set aside to cool (10 minutes).
- In a small bowl lightly whisk the egg.
- In a separate larger bowl combine baking soda, spices and flour.
- Add the lightly beaten egg, flour and spices to the melted honey and sugar mixture. Mix and combine to obtain smooth and soft dough.
- Wrap the dough with cling foil and leave in a fridge over night.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or place silicon sheet.
- With your hands make walnut size balls and place them on a previously lined baking sheet.
- Insert peeled almond at the top of each cookie.
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C (356 °F).
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container.
Note: It is very important not to over-bake them because they will become hard. Honey spice cookies can be kept in a tin up to 4 weeks. They will get softer with time ☺
What is your favorite cookie and why?