As kids, growing up in Croatia, Jaffa cookies were something we all were looking for as a treat. Sponge cake with orange jelly, covered in chocolate. Who wouldn’t like that?!
Chocolate with orange is an all time favorite combination and this cake does it justice. 😃
It’s soft and moist, and makes you crave for more 😉
The cake is very juicy and full of orange flavor!
For the cake
- 4 eggs
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) canola/sunflower oil
- 200 g (1 1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 10 g (1 tbsp or one little package) vanilla sugar
- 10 g (1 tbsp or one little package) baking powder
- 2 large oranges
- 15 g (2 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp apricot or orange jam
For the syrup
- 100 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) water
For the glaze
- 200 g (1 cup) dark chocolate
- 125 g (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Grease and flour (or use parchment paper) two round baking pans.
- In the standing mixer or in a large bowl mix the eggs with both sugars until foamy.
- Add oil and milk and mix for a minute.
- Add flour combined with baking powder and mix until incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into two equal parts, and in one part mix in cocoa powder.
- Pour each batter in a separate baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes until the cakes are done. Do a toothpick test for completeness. Insert the toothpick in the cakes, if nothing stays on it, the cakes are done. Let them cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. In a small saucepan, cook sugar with water until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- When the cakes are cooled, place the dark cake on the bottom of the round baking pan.
- Smear the jam on the dark cake.
- In a large bowl, break the light cake into small pieces and pour over the sugar syrup. Add the orange zest of one and juice of two oranges. Mix well. Spread it over the jam.
- For the glaze melt the chocolate with butter and oil in a microwave or in a double boiler over steam.
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake overnight before serving.
What is your favorite chocolate and fruit combination?