Many European countries use poppy seeds in desserts. I use it often because of its specific flavor that I really enjoy. Did you know that poppy seeds are rich source of thiamine, folate, and several essential minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc?
For this gluten free cake, you will need little time to prepare and even less to indulge 😀 Choice of jam is up to you. I used homemade sour cherry jam since sweet and sour complement each other creating a divine taste 🙂
- 7 eggs divided
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 140 g (10 tbsp) butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 200 g (1 1/4 cup) ground poppy seeds
- zest of one lemon
- jam of your choice (I used sour cherry jam and it was perfect!)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate
- 100 ml (1/4 cup) whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (390 °F).
- Divide eggs in two separate mixing bowls.
- Separately whip butter until foamy.
- Beat egg yolks with 6 tbsp of sugar until foamy.
- Add whipped butter to the egg yolk mixture and mix until combined.
- Combine poppy seeds with baking soda and lemon zest and add to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well.
- Mix egg whites with 6 tbsp of sugar until stiff.
- With a spatula add beaten egg whites to the batter.
- Bake in a baking pan covered with parchment paper for about 40 min until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate glaze. Heat the cream up to boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate broken in pieces. Mix until chocolate is incorporated.
- Spread your jam of choice on the baked cake and pour chocolate glaze on top.
Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!
Have you ever tried a poppy seed dessert? What was your favorite?