Have some old bread that you don’t know what to do with but don’t want to throw away?
We’ll teach you how to spice it up with some bacon and other stuff to make a delicious stuffing for a bird roast.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is one of the best ways to use up old bread and to make your Sunday family dinner a little more special than it already is. If you still have some left, consider cinnamon french toast for desert 😉
Traditionally, this stuffing is served with turkey on Christmas as a part of Croatian culinary heritage. Great thing is that you can use this stuffing with any bird of your choice: chicken, turkey, duck… Just add sauce or gravy of your choice with a vegetable salad on the side and your family will be very grateful.
This recipe is part of Foodies+ Christmas Recipes from Around the World cookbook, amazing cookbook with over 400 pages that shares many recipes you can use all year round.
Tools you need
- Chef’s knife to cut onion, bacon and parsley
- Cutting board to, yes, cut things on it 🙂
- Mixing bowls. You’ll need to mix all the ingredients somewhere.
Make sure bowls you use are adequately sized. There are few things worse than overflowing bowls.
- Measuring spoons to, you know, measure things with them
- Spatula makes mixing things into other things easier
- Frying pan to fry onions, garlic and pancetta.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 slices pancetta/bacon
- 3 slices of soft white bread
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Tear the bread into rough cubes and place in a shallow bowl.
- Drizzle the cold milk on and let them soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, pancetta and parsley.
- Whisk the eggs with a fork in a separate bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat and fry the onion, garlic and pancetta until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Squeeze the bread to get rid of the milk and place in a bowl.
- Tip the fried ingredients into the bowl with the bread.
- Add whisked eggs, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until combined.
- Stuff your chosen bird with it and cook according to the relevant recipe.
2 thoughts on “Bread and Bacon Stuffing”
Oh, this sounds delicious! I’m helping an American friend make Thanksgiving lunch this year. I think I’ll try this recipe out!
Hi Lisa, i never asked, how was the Thanksgiving dinner? 🙂